Because the Olympics Committee uses the classic Latin version of a countries name to create its 3-letter designation – The Virgin Islands Olympic Team is designated as ISV or Isla Virgenes.
The 2021 Summer Games are underway in Tokyo and despite the challenges afforded these top athletes due to a global pandemic, the USVI (ISV) has 4 resilient athletes representing our little island territory.
Though we have a smaller pool of athletes vying for positions on our National Team (ISV), they still have to qualify in their sport to compete – so these are some talented and dedicated athletes who are clearly at the top of their game.
- Eddie Lovett Track & Field: Men’s 110m hurdles
- Adriel Sanes (St Croix) Swimming: Men’s 100m and 200m breaststroke
- Natalia Jean Kuipers (St Croix) Swimming: Women’s 400m freestyle
- Nicholas D’Amour (St Thomas) Archery
Team ISV Schedule in Local Time
Fun Facts About Team ISV Athletes
- Nati Kuipers is the current US National Record holder in the 400m freestyle – so keep an eye on her, she’s swimming that event in the Olympic Games.
- Adriel Sanes earned the Olympic B Cup timing in breaststroke earlier this year.
- Eddie Lovett also represented the Virgin Islands at the Rio Olympic Games in 2016.
- Archer Nicholas D’Amour is currently ranked 4th in the world for the men’s Olympic recurve.
- Archery just became a recognized Olympic Sport in the Virgin Islands in 2014.
You can find team information on the official Team ISV Tokyo Olympics page